Registering to vote
You can register to vote in several ways:
- Online, at the N.M. Secretary of State’s web site.
- In person, at the Rio Arriba County Clerk’s office. There are two locations: in Española in the Rio Arriba County Annex building at 1122 Industrial Park Road (505 753-1780), and in Tierra Amarilla at the Rio Arriba Archive Building, 10 State Road 531 (phone 575 588-7724)
- By mail, using a registration form you can find online in English or Spanish; print it, fill it out, and mail it either to the county clerk or to the New Mexico Secretary of State.
- In person, with the help of a third-party voter registration agent; these are people who have received training and registered with the Secretary of State. You will find them staffing booths at voter registration drives and the like.
Checking or updating your registration
You can check or update your voter registration online, at the N.M. Secretary of State web site. To update your voter registration after moving, fill in a new voter registration form.
Three ways to vote
In New Mexico, you can vote
- by absentee ballot (you do not have to be out of town on Election Day to vote by absentee ballot in New Mexico)
- in person, at the county clerk’s office or other designated location (in Rio Arriba: clerk’s office at 7 Main St., Tierra Amarilla, or clerk’s election warehouse at 714 Calle Don Diego, Española) during normal working hours beginning 28 days before election day (6 October)
- in person, at another early voting location (see this document for details of dates and locations of early voting in Rio Arriba County) beginning the third Saturday before election day (17 October)
- in person, on Election Day
Do not let anyone take away your right as a citizen to vote. And don’t take it away from yourself by not voting.